talk to us
Do you have any question?
Model United Nations is an authentic simulation of the UN General Assembly and other multilateral bodies where students step into the shoes of ambassadors from the UN member states to debate current issues on the organisation’s agenda.
Model United Nations began as a series of student-led Model League of Nations simulations. The first simulations were called an International Assembly, the first of which was held at Oxford University in November 1921. Two years later, in 1923, the simulations were introduced at Harvard University where they gained popularity. After the Second World War Model League of Nations transitioned to Model United Nations due to the formation of the League’s successor organization, the United Nations, in 1945.
The popularity of Model UN continues to grow, and an estimated 100,000 middle school, high school, and college/university students worldwide participate every year.
Many of today’s leaders in law, government, business, and the arts participated in Model UN during their academic careers. Model UN has been receiving attention in the mainstream media and has been featured in television programmes including ‘Community, Parks and Recreation’, ‘The Simpsons’, ‘Like Family’, ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’, ‘Will and Grace’, ‘The OC’, and ‘Gossip Girl’. Model UN was the theme of the Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen movie ‘Winning London’ and was also mentioned in movies such as ‘The Sure Thing’ and ‘Along Came Polly’.
VIBGYOR Model United Nations (VIBGYOR MUN) is an initiative by the VIBGYOR Group of Schools, in India. It strives to foster a constructive forum for open dialogue on complex global issues amongst the student community. Each year delegates debate and deliberate on topics simulating actual United Nations proceedings. This gives students the opportunity to broaden their vision, and also to hone their diplomatic, public speaking, and leadership skills.
A Model United Nations delegate is a student who assumes the role of an ambassador, represents the country that has been assigned to him/her for all matters at the Model United Nations, makes speeches, prepares draft resolutions, negotiates with allies and adversaries, resolves conflicts, and navigates the Model UN conference rules of procedure – all in the interest of mobilising international cooperation to resolve problems that affect countries all over the world.
The multiple benefits of participating in VIBGYOR MUN include:
- Increase in awareness about the salient role played by the United Nations in global affairs; serve as a Model of Best Practices of the United Nations
- self-improvement via networking with delegates, improving your planning process, and inspiring oneself as future leaders to become involved in world issues
- Development of reading, reference, and research skills, improvement in skills of note taking and technical writing (drafting resolutions and working papers), and policy analysis
- Enhancement of communication skills, especially in the areas of public speaking, small group communications, active listening, negotiation, and conflict resolution
- Gain insight into foreign policies and their effect on world politics
- Achieve a deeper understanding of different cultures and how to appreciate and support diversity
- Encourage oneself to contribute towards a better global social interaction
- Increase in the in-depth knowledge of various countries, leading to a guaranteed lively and memorable experience
The VIBGYOR MUN conference is open to high school students from all over the world who are ambitious, curious, and outgoing. We encourage students with altruistic tendencies to join us and contribute to making the world a better place.
- Registered students of Government recognised schools, colleges/universities, and students studying in Grade 8 and above.
- Recommended age: 13 to 19 years as in 2024
VIBGYOR MUN is an interactive learning experience. It engages young people in the study and discussion of global issues and encourages the development of skills useful throughout their lives. These significant skills include research, writing, public speaking, problem-solving, consensus building, and cooperation. It adds value to the CVs of student delegates and equips them for the real world.
Conferences tend to focus on current world affairs and issues that are being discussed in the United Nations. These issues can highlight political, financial and/or social concerns. The task of some committees might be to address hypothetical concerns or issues from the past or future. For example, how a strong union between different countries in a continent, can affect the financial scenario, worldwide. The agenda items discussed in committees vary at each conference. Other conferences host historical or future Security Council simulations.
Committee preferences can be mentioned by the delegate while filling up the registration form. However, the final decision on committee allocation lies with the Secretariat of the VIBGYOR MUN and the Advisor.
In order to register for the VIBGYOR MUN 14 conference click on this link on the
Once you have registered you will be directed to a page for payment processing. For further details, you can also visit our registration guidelines to help you.
It’s time to get inspired! Get to know the agendas very intimately, familiarize yourself with the frontline countries’ stances and strategize effectively. Take part in debate.
First and foremost, your preference should be dependent on your interest. Each committee at VIBGYOR MUN caters to a specific political and social program, and some have atypical set-ups. Understand their history, read associated agendas and then decide. Secondly, keep in mind your experience as well as ease with the size of a committee. Ensure your decision of preference is a combination of these factors.
No, all delegates in any committee are encouraged to be a part of the debate. Your research can be agenda specific, with your country skilfully integrated in your response. Get familiar with your countries’ general policies before you frame your stance.
An intellectual challenge! Follow basic steps, which include reading your study guides, being well prepared on your agendas, and being ready to speak during the conference. Take multiple opportunities and participate during the moderated and un-moderated caucus. Focus on managing your country’s interests and speaking clearly.
Dress professionally and appropriately as it is an important aspect of Model United Nations preparations. Just like being polite and having proper manners, dressing appropriately is an important way to show respect to the nation you are representing, to your fellow delegates, and to the United Nations.
Delegates may wear their own national dress; however, VIBGYOR MUN requires western business attire.
Western business attire, or international standard business attire, serves as a customary dress for workplaces. It includes wearing a suit – pants, a matching jacket, a button down dress shirt, and a tie.
Yes, attendance is taken for every committee session. Action is taken against absentees.
Delegates are permitted to use their mobile phones. However, the phones should not be used during committee sessions.
In order for a committee session to progress smoothly, it is important for delegates to follow the rules of procedure. This ensures that order is kept, and delegates have equal opportunity to contribute to the discussion. Rules of procedure also provide the proper format to ask questions and make speeches.
The VIBGYOR MUN has been modelled on the principles of respect and harmony. One must always follow the practices of collaboration, cooperation, and constructive debate irrespective of an individual’s race, religion, gender, political or sexual orientation, age, or nationality.
Plagiarism is considered unethical in VIBGYOR MUN.
A position paper is a statement that reveals your country’s stance on a particular topic. One paper needs to be completed for each topic in your committee. Written position papers should be submitted to the respective Chairs fifteen days prior to the conference.
To research on the position papers:
- Background/Study guides will be available on the VIBGYOR MUN website VIBGYORMUN.com/Committees/ (Committee name). They are password protected documents. The password will be given to the delegate post registration.
- Refer to the list of suggested research links in the Background/Study guide for preparation.
- A detailed overview can be found in the CIA (Central Investigation Agency) World Fact Book.
- Research through news articles, past UN resolutions, relevant conference, or events. Find out how your nation is influenced by this issue, what its stance is and how to respond to it. Make sure you are comfortable with your bloc position, so you know that other countries agree with yours.
- Remember that the suggested links are only a sample of what you should use to prepare for the conference and search engines will be very helpful. Research is required even if you are on a crisis committee.
- A strong knowledge of the issue and familiarity of your country’s policies and history will enable you to play your role accurately.
Refer to Tips for Preparation for more information on how to research for VIBGYOR MUN.
Caucusing is an informal debate that occurs during the VIBGYOR MUN conference. It serves as an important method of discussion because it allows for greater participation and consensus building. Caucusing can be either ‘moderated’ when speakers are called on by the chair after raising their placards or ‘unmoderated’, which is a designated time for delegates without the intervention of the chair to have discussion and work on resolutions. The caucuses are preliminary proceedings.
Pre-written resolutions are not allowed. Outside research is encouraged before the conference. VIBGYOR MUN conference has a strict policy against any pre-written document.
Yes. All participants will receive a certificate of participation.
It is recommended to attend the entire conference.
The following is included in the registration fees:
- Digital and online material for students which will include modules for the sessions, online quizzes, study guides, and the corresponding reference material
- Digital certificate of participation and digital badges of honour for outstanding delegates
- Surprise gifts for delegates par excellence
- Complimentary online and face to face training for registered delegates which is need based
- delegate dance night, career and karaoke, Music-unplugged (addition cost)
- Lodging and boarding for all days of the conference
They can be observers/visit the committee sessions. However, it is solely on the discretion of the Chair.